CURD Polar Bear Ride 2018

CURD Polar Bear Ride 2018

Unread postby Alex Csank » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Ahoy once again!

Just wanted to start a new thread for the 31 December 2017 or 1 January 2018 Polar Bear Ride.

Here are the rules as posted last year by Sidecar Bob:

"The rules for the CURD Polar Ride are the same as they have been since Mike started it all those years ago:
1) Participation in the CURD Polar Bear Ride is open to all registered CURD members and message forum members.
2) Go for a ride of at least 1hr duration on either Dec. 31 2017 or Jan 1 2018 or both. (I usually head for somewhere that is at least a half hour from home, stop for a meal or to visit someone or something like that and then make sure I take more than half an hour to get back home).
3) Take one or more pics and post them in this thread.
4) Click the following link to Piper's Patches where you can order Polar Bear Run patches, year rockers &/or pins. http://www.piperspatches.biz/PolarBearRide.html"
Стрелять волка ближе всего к саней первым!
(Shoot the wolf closest to the sled first!)

Alex Sandor Csank
Vankleek Hill, Ontario
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
1982 Honda GL1100 Standard
2015 Ural Gear Up
...and other toys
Alex Csank
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Re: CURD Polar Bear Ride 2018

Unread postby ichbinbier » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:32 am

Hopefully I'll be sober for one of those days and hopefully I won't have a hangover for one of those days!
2016 CCM GP450
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 300
2014 Ural Gear Up
1994 Harley-Davidson FXSTS Springer Softtail
1991 Harley-Davidson XLH Hugger 883
ichbinbier
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Unread postby Sidecar Sally » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 pm

:prost:
Sidecar Sally

03 FXD Springer (sold and gone to a new home)
2013 Electra Glide Ultra limited
08 Gear Up Arctico
sportster bullet mufflers/modified
2 x .024" shimmed needles
7/64" drilled out slides
130main/45 pilot
Sidecar Sally
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Looking at the forecast for today & tomorrow we had a choice of either very cold & clear today or milder & snowy tomorrow so I suggested that, since it was Sunday and the distance was about right, we go to Kay's Church for this year's PBR. I didn't look at our outside thermometer before we left but the Weather Network said it was -25c at 9:00 and we left about half an hour later. Someone at the Church told me they heard it was -37 but I think they were talking about the wind chill temp which doesn't really apply to us because 1) Kay is in the sidecar out of the wind & with my full gear on no bare skin is in direct contact with the wind and 2) wind chill is calculated for someone standing still and we were going a bit faster than that. At any rate, Kay was bundled up with a blanket over her so she didn't get cold but I was grateful for a hot coffee when we got there so I could thaw my thumbs against it (looks like I'll need install my electric thumb heaters in my mitts this year). I stopped to take this pic before parking.
Polar Bear 2018.JPG

After Church a bunch of us headed for the local restaurant for lunch and Eccles was reluctant to crank over after sitting outside for a couple of hours but started on about the 3rd try. After sitting another hour at the restaurant it didn't want to crank at all and I didn't want to run the battery down trying so I asked a passerby for a boost and it fired instantly. Eccles has been using up oil lately and I have been topping it up with conventional 10W40 so its probably just a bit thicker than it wants in the cold. Its still well under 5000 Km since the last change but I think I'll put in the new Rotella T6 & filter this week just to be sure.

Whatever the temp was this morning it was a lot milder on the way home (its up to -17c now). My fingers & thumbs were colder half way there than they were by the time we got home, even after having my mitts of for a few minutes while starting it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby Alex Csank » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Great job, Sidecar Bob!

Unfortunately for me, I came down with the current strain of the flu bug on Boxing Day, and I'm still hacking up whatever is left of my lungs, so I chickened-out and stayed in pyjamas by the fire. I'm up to my fourth roll of TP for the nose drippings already. It doesn't look much better for tomorrow. Sadly, I'll have to skip this year's ride.

Interested in hearing from more brave souls.
Стрелять волка ближе всего к саней первым!
(Shoot the wolf closest to the sled first!)

Alex Sandor Csank
Vankleek Hill, Ontario
alfaromeodriveralex@gmail.com
1982 Honda GL1100 Standard
2015 Ural Gear Up
...and other toys
Alex Csank
CURD Friend
CURD Friend

Unread postby Sidecar Sally » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:03 pm

You are a brave man Bob.......I haven't been out recently (this week) on the Ural.
It has been pretty cold out......been cycling all the batteries in the garage on the tender to make sure all are topped up.
Had to replace the battery in the car though.......but doesn't surprise me.....being that it's 7 years old.
I noticed it didn't turn over as quickly...during the fall months.
So failing during the cold snap was almost a given :dunno:

I probably won't get out for the next couple of days....being New Years and my mother in laws birthday tomorrow.

Long live the Polar Bears :sidecar2: :canflag:
Sidecar Sally

03 FXD Springer (sold and gone to a new home)
2013 Electra Glide Ultra limited
08 Gear Up Arctico
sportster bullet mufflers/modified
2 x .024" shimmed needles
7/64" drilled out slides
130main/45 pilot
Sidecar Sally
Site Donor
Site Donor

Unread postby Sidecar Bob » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 am

I used to drive to work every day no matter what the temperature and the Church is only about 5 minutes farther....
ImageCurd #157 - Official CURD Cheapskate & Vice-Commissar, Kawartha Lakes Region
Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr) Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650/Veloural)
Click here to visit my blog Click here to order CURD patches & stickers
Sidecar Bob

Location: Kawartha Lakes, Ontario - between Lindsay and Lake Simcoe

Unread postby logsjune » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:19 pm

Ural1jan.JPG
2Ural1Jan.JPG
I know I,m spoiled. Its +3 today and I really could not do donuts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 Gear Up,
96 R1100RT,
88 K75S
73 R75/5
68 R50/2
logsjune
CURD Regular
CURD Regular

Return to National Rallies & Events